Roasted chicken with cranberry, bacon and chestnut quinoa and vegetables
- 1 medium chicken
- knob of butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 or 5 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200g smoked bacon chopped
- 100g cooked chestnuts, quartered
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 300g cooked quinoa
- 2 onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat an oven to 180˚C.
- Butter the chicken skin, place the bay leaves into the chicken cavity, season with salt and pepper and place in the preheated oven to roast.
- Peel and quarter one of the onions and add it to the tray to roast with the chicken.
- Roast the chicken as per instructions on a packet according to size.
- Meanwhile cook pearl Quinola as per instructions on the packet.
- In the deep, wide frying pan place olive oil on a medium heat.
- Dice the remaining onion and fry for about 10 minutes until soft and light brown.
- Add the chopped bacon and garlic and continue frying for another few minutes.
- Finally add the chestnuts, cooked quinoa and cranberry sauce.
- Stir well and season with salt and pepper.
Serve the chicken on the bed of quinoa and the juices from the chicken will flavour quinoa even more.
For a veggie/vegan option, replace the chicken with roasted zucchini, and add in little pieces of chopped tempeh. As per usual, you can swap the butter for coconut oil.